12 Volt Radio





 This blog will cover 

Family Radio Service (FRS) typical low cost department store radio types.  Come with fixed antennas and no license required.  My wife and I use these to communicate when backing our RV.  A short range service.  I also list other services below.

Above on the right is my FRS handheld (HT), then my GMRS HT,  my old CB HT and finally  my HAM 2 meter UHF/VHF HT.

Citizens Band Radio (CB) many folks had these before cell phones became common in the late 80s.  No license required. My guess around 30% of the truckers still have these.  We have a small mobile in our 3/4 ton truck we use as a backup to our smart phone travel app. This is short to local range.  If you purchase a CB with Single Side Band you can have upto medium range if conditions are right.

Above is an old CB mobile we have in our truck.

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) this service growing currently and requires a GMRS license (no test required). This license is unique In that your license also covers your immediate family.  In my case only I wanted to experiment with Amateur Radio (HAM) so this is my family band. This has local to medium range especially if you use a repeater linked system.  Only GMRS & HAM radio can use repeaters.  As of today I only have a B Tech V1 HT will be looking to add a mobile.

Amateur Radio Service (HAM) has been around since the beginning of radio.  This service requires testing and a license and is designed for experimentation and radio support in time of emergency.  While all the above serviced can and often are put to use in emergencies only this service is frequency based not Chanel based.

Chanel based have from five to one hundred and twenty frequency/channels HAM radio has thousands. The channel based service are limited to voice/phone.  HAM’s can use voice, phone, Morse code, CW, Digital modes and more.

Which is best that depends on your mission/personal needs and wants.  Each service has its place, I like and use all I have mentioned.

I enjoy running off batteries, solar power, radios under 35 watts and on pick nick tables.

When I retired as  Business Associate Professor from my college my wife and daughter both said I needed a hobby.  My dad was a HAM in the 70/80’s so I said I would try it myself.  I love experimenting with antennas, radio’s and range.



Comments