11, 10, 12 meters


Above my 11 meter SSB



 As a CB’er (11 meter’s) I had only used the standard 40 channel with no single sided band in my car and a HT (walkie talkie).  Once I got my HAM Technician License in 2019, I added 2 meters (VHF), 30/70 centimeters (UHF) and ten meters (HF). 

The UHF and VHF is by frequency’s not channels like CB & GMRS.  Frequency’s gives you hundreds to thousands of contact points depending on my license class.

When studying for my tech license I read about solar cycles, but till I had a ten meter radio I did not understand.  At the bottom third of the cycles distance reception/propagation is often terrible on 6 through 15 meters.  I bought a 10 meter radio, built a dipole antenna and nothing🙁  Note as a technician I was limited to 200 watts. 

So I bought an11 meter CB with upper and lower sideband. Did hear a few folks about 600 miles away but they could not hear me.  Note for a legal CB I can only use 4 watts and one with side band the limit is 12 watts. So I determined the those I heard were probably using more then the legal 12 watts to be heard. The problem my 12 watt was not enough for them to hear me at the bottom of a solar cycle.

My 10 & 12 meter’s


I keep my first HF just because it covers 10 and 12 meters.  This model is marketed overseas with 11 meters as well but turned off in U.S. market to comply with FCC.  My Xiegu G 90 is my main HF 10 through 160 meters today.                            




Comments